We LOVE Easter because it is a time for family and friends to gather and celebrate and of course, we think that there is no better way to celebrate, than with a table chock full of delicious homemade dishes!
Invite others to your home for a spread you created yourself or suggest a pot luck and expand the variety even more.
Check out a few healthy BUT delicious recipes that will be a guaranteed hit with your guests:
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
You will find that this casserole from Eating Well is easy to prepare and is perfect for an Easter brunch.
It serves six and takes approximately 30 minutes to prepare.
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups chopped spinach, wilted (see Tip)
- 4 cups whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired, cut into 1-inch cubes (about ½ pound, 4-6 slices)
- 1 cup diced ham steak, (5 ounces)
- ½ cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
- ¾ cup shredded Gruyère, or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 7-by-11-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Add mustard, rosemary and pepper; whisk to combine. Toss spinach, bread, ham and roasted red peppers in a large bowl. Add the egg mixture and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
- Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare casserole through Step 2; refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake as directed in Step 3.
Roasted Asparagus with Lemony Breadcrumbs
This is a yummy vegetable side dish recipe from Martha Stewart. It serves six and only takes 15 minutes to prepare.
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- Garnish: 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet, and drizzle with oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, 18 to 20 minutes, then transfer to a platter.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add panko, and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice and zest. Season with salt.
- Top asparagus with breadcrumbs, and garnish with lemon.
For more healthy recipes, check out: Best Green Smoothies.